Saturday 23 June 2012

Murder He Wrote

What a strange day, sunshine one minute, torrential downpours the next!
Last night saw me rush outside with emergency bamboo canes and string. One of my treasured lupins had snapped in the sudden awful wind and I was not going to stand by and lose any others! I got drenched and the long lupins attached with string to canes look a little odd, but they are safe now. phew.

Today has seen me fall asleep in front of Murder She Wrote, how annoying, I don't know who did it or why? Maybe it doesn't matter.


I'm sure that dear old Jessica Fletcher worked it out.

I have been invited out for dinner again at a friends house and I have offered to make them a keylime pie. I watched the Hairy Bikers make it the other day and as I am a big fan of lemon meringue pie I thought I would try this as it looks similar but possibly even better. I'll let you know how it goes.

I also bought the ingredients to make the golden pork roll that I found the recipe to on Sarina's blog. That will probably be made tomorrow, looks delicious. Meanwhile I made a sausage casserole that I had with new potatoes and cabbage from my mums garden last night. Was delicious with plenty of leftovers for another day.

So a good lazy weekend of cooking, garden rescue, murder and of course, eating lies ahead!

How are you spending yours?

Welcome to Michelle, my new follower and thank to all you others that pop in regularly.

13 comments:

  1. Found your blog via the lovely Scarlet.
    This weekend? Well I won't mention basking in the sun, that would be cruel....but I'm baking an apple pie as we speak, then onto chores for the rest of the weekend. I know how to live!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, always happy to hear from someone new.

      Delete
  2. It's a funny sort of day. I have things to do outside but it keeps raining. I have trimmed up a bush and now my brown wheelie bin is full, ready for collection on Monday. I am doing a bit of crochet, keep hopping on and off here, feeding and playing with the rescue kitties, and now I'm enjoying a glass of wine.

    If this awful weather keeps up I might give up on the idea of camping next week and book myself into Earby Youth Hostel, it's not far from Barnoldswick, for a spot of walking. Is that anywhere near you? Whatever happens I want to get away for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have absolutely no idea where is Barnoldswick. I am about 20 miles north of Manchester though.

      Delete
  3. Bloody awful summer we`re having. I had to give up on my gardening efforts. All I managed to plant are the potatoes and some red onions. The rest of my seedlings got scorched in the sun and then were torn to bits by the winds.
    Let me know how your Golden Pork Roll turns out.
    Ours was delicious, but the bottom of the crusty pastry got a bit hard in the oven. It made me think that the first 1/2 hour on high heat might have to be shortened on time. Next time I make one I shall only leave it for 20 mins on high heat before reducing to Gas mark 4, then also only cook it on for 1 more hour instead of the hour and 15 mins. It might just make the desired difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was going to make the pork today, but as it turns out I am out this evening. I will make it tomorrow and let you know how it is.

      Delete
  4. Noooo! Save the lupins!! I have grown some this year but of course they won't flower until next year. If you put that much time and effort into a plant, you don't want them blowing over in the final stretch!!

    Never tried keylime pie, but like you love lemon meringe. Let me know how it turns out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lupins are saved. Will make the key lime pie later and tell you my results.

      Delete
  5. All you need to add to make that my perfect weekend is a few hours of sewing, oh and a smidgen of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, chocolate would have finished that off nicely, but I did have some ice cream!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting a link to that recipe, it looks great and I've wanted to try cooking with belly pork as the Morrisons next to where I work sells cheap cuts like belly pork, cheeks etc.

    Sounds like an ideal weekend, apart from your lupin snapping. I've been standing anxiously at the window watching my plants get battered by the high winds. Who knew gardening could be so stressful?! Today for me has involved visiting friends, nosing around my favourite charity shop (actually a large shed filled with all manner of stuff to riffle through)and finishing off a couple of crochet projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks great, I will make it tomorrow. The wind has calmed down it seems so hopefully it will be a slightly better day.

      Delete
  7. if you kiss him on the lips let me knoW
    (delete message as appropriate)

    ReplyDelete