Thursday 1 November 2012

Who's a clever boy then?

Thanks to those comments yesterday and welcome to my new followers. It was nice to read your ghost stories too!

I am rather proud of myself. I have floored my loft. I am always ready to give DIY a go, mainly because I am stingy at paying someone to do anything that I could possibly do myself.
Fortunately for me, laying a floor up in the loft was a much easier job than I anticipated, even though I am unfortunate enough to have joists that are all different widths apart (how annoying is that) which meant that I had to cut every single piece of flooring differently. Never mind.

Here is the final result though:


I have a good 10 metres squared of new floor space now which is going to be brilliant for storage. I even put in access hatches for where there were junction boxes (fortunately there weren't many of those).
One day I will do the other half (there is about 7m2 remaining on the other side of the hatch) but for now this will do nicely. All told, it cost less than £60 to do this and the lighting, not bad going and just 2 afternoons work.

18 comments:

  1. well done, looking good and extra space & storage

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you! Our house already had the loft boarded out when we bought it (the previous owners had a model railway up there apparently so there was lighting too) which was great but it does make it terribly easy to hang on to things "in case they might come in useful" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! There's nothing like doing something yourself and saving a load of money to boot. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great. Would you come and do my loft? It`s great storage space. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've done a good job of that. Very handy space to have. Now don't go and fill it with junk, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! - it looks a brilliant space for storage a very neat and tidy job xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I probably will fill it with junk, but I am trying so hard not to. I am a bit of a hoarder, but really it is just because anything that might be useful one day is worth hanging on to if it means I won't have to buy something else instead. I am dead proud and the good result is that my spare room is beginning to take shape now as a proper guest room. Good as I have a guest for Christmas this year! Thank you as always for the comments. I love receiving them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same, and just think Froogs had a shower hoarded in her loft :-) Good job btw

      Delete
  8. Brilliant job getting all that extra storage space, you should feel a difference with heat loss too with the extra insulation and boards down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! We "rediscovered" our guest bedroom after our loft finally became a warm, dry, floored space. But yes you WILL hoard stuff now...just warning you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're a clever boy then.
    Love from Mum
    xx
    PS I bet now you're going to fill all that lovely space with 'stuff'!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks just great ... how handy.
    Whats the next DIY challenge?

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why you are a clever boy for sure!!

    If you ever make it to the states, i have an attic you are more than welcome to floor, LOL! I should put that on my list but ugh, not sure I am up for that now. Maybe next year, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, Dan, that looks really professional! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What did you use for the flooring to be so cheap?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B and Q have loft flooring at the moment for under £7 a pack. I used 8 packs and 3 pieces of some spare wood I had in the garage to make the hatches for the fuse boxes. Each pack is 1.2 m2.

      Delete