Wednesday 10 October 2012

Putting the garden to bed, and a surprise!

When I came back from my recent trip to France, it was to find a surprise: my fences had all been replaced! Ok so it wasn't a total surprise as I knew that it was on the cards. It was all part of the package when I had the decking done, but the man was going to fit it in at another time. Well, he came and did it without saying a word! It was quite necessary as every now and again I would be in the garden and hear a dull thump as another piece of the old rotten one would fall off. In a way I am sad because they old one had such character  (and the new one has none) but I suppose some new climbers, trellis and age will sort that out. Yes, I could have easily done this job myself but the man who did it as part of my decking costs, almost came out labour free, (and he got the fence panels cheaper than I could have done) he is a good sort and one of those people you trust straight away.


It has confused the neighbours cat dreadfully. He used to cut through my garden and disappear through a hole in the fence. Yesterday he sat there for ages looking at where the hole used to be quite as if waiting for someone to open it for him.

So my yesterdays lethargy is over. I am staring at the sky (rather like the cat) trying to decide if it will throw any rain down on me today. I want to oil the deck but won't if the rain is coming. It is very much colder today. If it warms a bit in the afternoon I will get on with it. besides that I have been getting the garden ready for winter. I did some weeding yesterday and put manure down on all the beds. There won't be much more planting this year although my mum did tell me that she picked me up a vine of some sort, a clematis and a yellow climbing rose at a garden centre near her which is closing down and had 50% off everything. They will be good for going up the new fence.



My rhubarb is finally nearly rotted away, it was quite a difficult task to leave all of it on there unused, but I know it was the right thing to do as next year it will give me a better crop. That is a passion flower in the background, it has been sitting in its pot all summer waiting for the fence to be done before putting in. Not sure how it will do in a cold Lancashire winter, but I'll give it a go.



Can't say that my cabbages look like they are thriving exactly.



My Tess of the d'Urbevilles rose has done brilliantly this year and is having a second flowering at the moment. It needs supporting because it has grown so much, will need to give it a good prune after christmas.



last month I put some alpine plants into the crevices of the dry stone wall, they look very cute, these hardly little things, clinging on for dear life.



My mildewed azalea has improved slightly, though  you may not tell so much from this photo. The rosemary is not looking so good though. Not expecting much else to happen here this year, although I did put some bulbs in. A friend sent me some Jersey Lily bulbs, which was a nice gift.

So today I will give the lawns their possibly last mowing of the year and do some general tidying up. It is a day to put on my aran sweater and some gloves and my hat I think. Still looking up deciding if it will rain.......

11 comments:

  1. I suspect the cabbage white butterfly (or pigeons) have been at your cabbages. Try putting in some canes with half balls of some description such as table or tennis balls or upturned plant pots. Check each plant for eggs/caterpillars then net them all and make sure the netting will not come within touching distance. Should get a decent crop then. I lost my 3 plants - possibly cabbage root fly so am cheese off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your fence. It's very nice with the blue trim.

    It's that time of year--basically clean up and get ready for winter. Sigh. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last cut of the year here for my lawn, Saturday past. Now have this weekend cruising garden center sales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my deck oiled in the end and it hasn't rained yet! Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's all looking ship shape. I have given up with brassicas, fed up of picking the caterpillars off them. Fence looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I suggest that you use your lovely new fence to espalier some fruit trees. You might need your skilled construction bloke to give advice and do part of the job with you. Espaliered trees make it easy to control insects and diseases, are pleasing to look at, and give fruit that is easy to pick. An apple, a quince, and a pear might work for you. The blossoms will look fabulous too. Best of all worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one pretty fence! Did he use the old support posts? I love that look actually. Just think of it as a blank slate that you can put your own stamp on.

    Oh, and I still covet your old stone wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the old stone wall and the plants clinging precariously to it. I love this time of year but do miss the gardens and realise that, like us they need a rest. I'm looking forward to next years planting. I have some over wintering garlic and onions in one of my raised beds. The fence is great and there is so much you can do with it such as adding home crafted mosaics to it to give you garden some structure x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is good to see the gradual changes in your garden - when all the plants take off I bet we won't recognise it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely surprise about the fence. Are you going to oil that too now? or later? or just let it season itself like the old one? You (and your carpenter) have done wonders with your garden this year. Bet you're really looking forward to next spring to see how it all shakes out. I know WE are! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am envious... no new fences for me when I return home from work... hey ho......
    raining like mad here... wish I was somewhere hot...portugal would be nice!

    ReplyDelete