So the weekend at home was fantastic and amazing and I loved every single second. I took loads of photos which I will use on the blog over the next few entries, to help keep the memories alive for me.
So first, I went out for birthday celebrations on Saturday night, my birthday is coming up and my friends birthday was yesterday. I baked my friend a coffee and walnut cake and it went down as such a success. Here it is:
and here is the recipe:
Coffee and walnut cake
For the cake
225g/8oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
225g/8oz caster sugar
4 free-range eggs
50ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
225g/8oz self-raising flour
For the butter cream topping
125g/4½oz unsalted butter
200g/7oz icing sugar
50ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
12 walnut halves, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
3. Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating
well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
4. Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
5. Add the flour and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
6. Spoon the cake mixture into a lined and greased 20cm/8in cake
7. Transfer to the oven to bake 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer
inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is
8. Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
9. For the butter cream topping, beat the butter and icing sugar together and add the coffee. Spread over the top of the cooled cake.
My finger is still strapped up but I am well besides that!