Friday 24 January 2014

A little touch of Winter joy.

It is cold and grey (every day is grey) here again and I have no desire to go outside at all.
So it is lucky that today is a short 'indoors' post.
It's the first time I have forced hyacinths and I am delighted with the results. I bought four lots of three last September, planted them up as instructed and put them in a cupboard in the garage and forgot about them. A couple of weeks ago they were all ready in different ways to come out so they came into a cool room on the windowsill. One shot forward, another was slow and steady and the remaining two are slow coaches that will get there in the end.


This delightful pink is filling the room with it's heavenly sent (although my mother has warned me that this smell will turn to cat pee eventually). A small glass bowl that I did a mercury glass spray paint experiment on last October just happens to fit the pot perfectly which is lucky.


These are the remaining ones. It looks, to my untrained eye, that they are all going to be ready at different times, which is a lucky coincidence as this might give me a continuous supply for a while. One is white, one is the deep purply blue and the other light blue.

Lovely.

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful, I really do like hyacinths.. :)
    AFM xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the perfume and the choice of colours is gorgeous. Watch out when handling the bulbs though, they can be toxic - they certainly make my skin itch!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very pretty. I sure wish I had done the same. Also thank you for the lovely video in your previous post. I do so love seeing the garden as it progresses thru the seasons. You are wonderfully situated there, and its great to know you are happy there, after all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful display!
    My hyacinths are still resting, under the blanket of snow. Hopefulle they are fine and will bring a lot of cheer and joy, when the spring comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must make the indoor much more cheerful.You container is also very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've managed to get all 3 bulbs to flower at the same time - great stuff.
    Love from mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never experimented with forced bulbs! You make it sound so easy...maybe next year I will try some. Pretty....looks so cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very lovely, and I really like your bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hyacinths, so beautiful, so fragrant but your mum is right eventually so smelly. Just put em out to finish off and keep the next lot coming on inside. Love them though, my winter favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I`m not very good with house plants. I do have blue and yellow Hyacinths in my front garden. They should show themselves fairly soon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hyacinths are such a treat in the middle of winter. I got some as a birthday present a few years ago...they were just budding and I didn't think much of it. Later in the week, I woke up to the most heavenly scent...I'll never forget that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look lovely and I bet they smell heavenly! It is when hyacinths are at the very last stage of flowering the smell turns a bit bad and more like cat pee, but by that time it is no sacrifice chucking the plants outside anyway. Put them back in your garage if you have ground frost, or if you haven’t, simply dig a hole for each of them and plant them as close to your house as possible so you can enjoy them every spring. Mine are almost 10 years old and in a flowerbed in my garden - and they are on their way up right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are beautiful. I'd keep plants in the house, but my cat would eat them and then hork them up, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't bought any hyacinths at all this year, yet I absolutely love their perfume, the fragrance fills the house once they bloom. I'd better look out for some or else I'm going to miss the boat.

    ReplyDelete