Wednesday 17 October 2012

A pile of old tomatoes.

My mum is terrible when it comes to letting things turn brown, mushy and unrecognisable in the fridge. She was going to throw some wrinkled old tomatoes away the other day, but I rescued them knowing that they would be perfect for my oven blush tomatoes!

I like this recipe for old tomatoes that are way past their best.

Take some tomatoes, cherry are best:


 Slice them in half across the middle and lay in a oven proof dish. sprinkle on some sea salt, a pinch of sugar, some herbs, anything you have that you may like and a sprinkling of olive oil. Today I used some herbs de Provence.



Next time you have put the oven on for something, when you have finished cooking whatever you were doing, get the temperature up to 220 and then pop in the tomatoes and immediately turn the oven off and just leave them in there over night.



I know, the before and after pictures are very similar but the taste is great. They are like a very cheaply made version of sunblush tomatoes and great to add to pasta, or salad or part of a buffet, love em and now I have a bowl full to last me a few days. You can experiment with adding other flavours of course, some garlic salt perhaps or different herbs, maybe even fresh garlic or fresh herbs would be good.

7 comments:

  1. Great post - that's a good thing to do with the tomatoes and so tasty with pasta. When I make this I omit the sugar - I know that goes against all the current cooking advice but I have a pre-diabetic condition so have to avoid all sugar where possible.

    Another recipe you might like to try is one my father did with over-ripe tomatoes. Chop up an onion and gently saute in oil (my dad would have used lard!), slice the tomatoes and add them to the onions, sprinkle in a teaspoon or so of dried herbs, salt to taste and lashings of pepper. Serve on toast and sprinkle grated cheese over the top - delicious :)

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't eat tomatoes (except in sauces) since hubbie does not like the texture. But I do a similar thing with aging garlic bulbs. Roast garlic is a big thing for me I love it. And also great in pastas/pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done for not wasting those lovely tomatoes. I do this too the sugar really helps them doesn't it. I find they taste amazing a day later. Gorgeous flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a lover of the old tomato
    I remember being sick up my nose on tomato soup when I was 9
    scarred me for life

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tomatoes, especially cherry and baby plum. This idea sounds lovely to have with my pesto pasta, thanks for the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo gosh .. they look so tasty. I could make a meal of those with some crusty bread. I haven't bought any tomatoes for a couple of weeks ... bit too expensive but I will keep my ete open for a few cheapie ones ... just for a treat.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! And I so love Herbs de Provence. I did something similar once with garlic and rosemary, it was good. Thanks for sharing!! And remind Mum to keep the next batch for you too!! :-)

    ReplyDelete