Tuesday 11 December 2012

Nearly missed it!

Very nice to hear from so many people yesterday, new and old followers alike. I loved the desctiption from Jane and Chris that blogging is like a frugal coffee morning with friends coming in for a chat. It's so true. I have tried to reply to everyone who commented, just to say hello.

A year ago this week (last Monday I think) was the day that I got the keys to this house! So I have owned it for a year now and how brief that is, yet it feels like it has always been my home, I just didn't know it.

Although I got the keys a year ago, I didn't actually move properly until mid-January. I use the Christmas holidays to get started on cleaning, wallpaper stripping and painting, and slowly my home was born.






Living room before and after.


I would like to say that I knew the moment I walked in that this was the house for me, but that would be a lie. Usually I am good at seeing the potential of a house, whatever the state is, but this one was a stumbler. I knew it was right on paper, it had everything I wanted, but on the two viewings I had, I was unsure. Empty, uncovered floors, grubby and cold, it seemed pokey and empty of life and on both occasions I went away unsure and slightly disappointed, but then would look at it on paper again and realise that it actually ticked every box. I loved the views, loved the location, but the garden was empty and lifeless and the house seemed totally without love.


Kitchen before and after


But once I got my own stuff in, begun to get the dingy wallpaper off, and my colours up, give the house some personality it began to transform into my home. In the last 20 years since I left my parents house I have lived in 9 houses/flats and this is the one they were all leading to, the one I call my forever house, (unless life takes unexpected, exciting turns)


Bedroom before and after

I have worked really hard, every room has been done (except the bathroom) on a shoestring. I have done all the work that it was possible for me to do, alone and only called in help on really difficult or dangerous stuff. I am proud of the things I have done and if you knew how little money I had really spent you would be very surprised. Paint, elbow grease and a strong back don't cost much money. I have begged, borrowed, stealed (well free-cycled), I have used imagination and I have spent hours working on a project rather than buy something new.





Garden before and after

It is fun to look back on what I have done to the house, I am not done yet, the bathroom never gets photographed because it is SO hideous, but one day I will re-do it all myself (give me strength!).
I have big plans to convert the garage into a room one day, but it will be years until I do, woodburning stove would be a dream come true too.
But I keep my eyes and ears open for good deals, ways of learning new skills and cheap or free items to help me on my way. let's see what my second year here brings......

27 comments:

  1. You have a view to die for, I am so jealous. I would be walking those hills every day. Have you been up there yet? Well done on your hard work, it is paying off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, been up there a few times, it is one hell of a walk!

      Delete
  2. Things.... can only get better:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The saying is that everything comes to he that waits, well you did not wait, you went out and hauled it in. Well done, as for the bathroom, lots of steam will obscure the grottiness and I am sure it will not be long before you have it sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a man after my own heart Dan. I know all too well the time and effort that goes into doing up a house on a shoestring, and doing just about everything yourself( we had someone in to do the electrics, fix the roof, and fit the fascias and new front door, other than that it has been hard work, patience and a few expletives!). We're on the very last bit now - the hallway, and I can't wait for it to be done. Like you, I didn't like the house initially and I bypassed it on the internet umpteen times as there were so many things that weren't even right on paper! Now, I have grown to love it - though my views aren't as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My house was our second choice as we were 'bowled' over by our first choice which didnt happen. Long story but then everything worked out for us in the end and now I'm glad we didnt go for the first one. :-)

      Delete
  5. A beautiful view and I love your kitchen - it looks really cosy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your house is no longer a house but a home.It looks cosy and loved. A fabulous job in one year...now, if you are bored we have a whole house to do from scratch!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful transformation! There really is no place like home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic transformation on your home.The view is to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your house is a credit to your hard work, and the garden truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house looks lovely and cosy and I know how satisfying it is to stand back and think 'I did that'!
    You have done a super job and Im extremely jealous of your beautiful view!
    You must show us the bathroom please, pretty please...
    Love Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house looks great and well done, you have come a long way in a short time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful Dan, and like everyone else - I'm jealous of your view!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bloody well done Dan! The apologised swear word is my way of emphasising my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sure does not seem like a year has passed since you talked about moving into your new home! You have done a really good job on it, I love it! Congrats on everything you have accomplished and good luck on your plans for next year! :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Theres no place like home, especially on a cold night like this one! Your home looks very cosy and has a fantastic setting

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great before and after, looks very homely there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing what you`ve done in one year! Big pat on the back is in order. You should be rightly proud of your achievements. Wishing you many happy years to come in that wonderful home with a view to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  18. you have a big female following dan
    you sex pot you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A home is where the heart is.

    I know Whitworth well, I'm on the other side of the Dell!!

    Keep up the fantastic blog x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on everything you have achieved in your first year - you should be rightfully proud you have transformed the house and made a home.

    Hard work is always rewarding and it's a good thing the house was so cold & disappointing at first as it meant you had to get stuck in! If it had been better/acceptable, who knows, perhaps the drive to improve it wouldn't have been so strong. I hope that makes sense!

    Would love to see a before and after montage of that bathroom by this time next year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Your garden is amazing! You deserve such a lovely home as much work as you have put into it. I hope you have many happy years of enjoyment in it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have done a brilliant job. There is a great deal of satisfaction when you look at your home and think " I did that". I love the patchwork quilt on your bed by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a delightful home you have created for yourself in such a short time, well done Dan! Cheers Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. happy house anniversary! things always take longer when its diy but its so so worth the effort in the en as you know! your home and garden are looking great, just wait till the spring then you'll really appreciate the work you put into the garden :)

    I loved your baking post the other day, I would try out the orange thing too but I just juiced all mine yesterday lol

    did you get new tyres yet? we found a place that does second hand ones and they are less than half the price, only look like they've been used for a month or so, often they're slavaged from cars that were a write off but they are really good quality, we'll never buy new tyres again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great Job! I myself am currently painting my entire house by myself, I put in an accent wall bottom half cranberry and upper half white with a chair rail, put Wainscoating in the kitchen. Doing all this kind of stuff by oneself is quite a chore!

    ReplyDelete