Friday 4 October 2013

Bathroom transformation - finally.

Yes, it is done, 9 weeks of toil and swearing but I have finally completed the bathroom transformation and this morning had my first shower in there for 9 weeks. I am proud that I did it, but I swear I would never attempt to do it by myself again, it is way beyond me really and although I will have a go at anything the reason it has taken me so long is because I have been learning on the job. Now just pray nothing leaks - ever.

So this is how my bathroom was before:


It's difficult to tell on this photo, but the bathroom suite was green, the carpet brown and the walls dirty. If you remember, last February I put my foot through the bath and rendered it useless for bathing, a bit of gaffa tape meant that I could, at least, shower.


First things first, strip off the nasty wallpaper.



Then all the tiles off the wall


And finally back to basics with the room emptied - this was a rather frightening moment.

It is very difficult to photograph a small room like a bathroom well to give you the full affect

but.....

here is how it looks now:


Nothing is left from before, new blind, new light, new floor, new tiles, new suite. It all looks so clean!


New shower was the final thing to go in.


The sink is now I pleasant place to brush my teeth.

So there you have it, the hardest transformation I have achieved but I am very proud of it. Nothing about a bathroom is particularly cheap and costs mounted up as I kept on havign to have another trip to B&Q for another bucket of tile adhesive, but in the end the cost for the complete bathroom has come in at well under £1000, which is not bad (is it?) considering how much it would have cost if I were to have got someone else to do it for me. Labour here, was free!

29 comments:

  1. That bath is huge
    You could fit two people in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that the same or a similar toilet? I only ask as when we did our bathroom ourselves, the new toilet and cistern was too far away from the way and we had to make a shelf behind it. No mirror?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a different toilet (but same toilet seat), nothing moved from the original lay-out, mainly because there is no other lay-out possibilities, but also to keep costs down. There is a mirror, but I think it wasn't up when I took the photo.

      Delete
  3. Looks lovely. You should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks really good! It's a great achievement to have done all the work yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, well done, fear alays sets in with me when I start demolishign things and stripping walls, as i knwo there is no turning back, but more than anything the satisfaction that you did it yourself x
    Sharon x

    www.onelifeand3kids.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fantastic and to think you did it all yourself and saved a fortune too, well done.

    Subway tiles and green paint .... we have a lot in common :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very professional job. Loving the shade of green and subway tiles too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks great, well done you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, we're renovating our whole house and I have to say plumbing is the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An excellent job! And with the cost of a plumber think of all that cash saved!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pleased you are back. Fabulous job and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. its looks fantastic you must be over the moon! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great. You have done a good job there! No wonder you are proud of your new bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've done a fantastic job, well done. Another string to your bow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks brilliant - well done, you should be really proud, you've done a really good job there xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a really good result. You are a champion.
    I do not know how people make the bathroom comfortable where you live, but here are two things from my experience. My mother had a heater installed on the wall opposite the bath. In the cold weather this meant bathing was easier and the floor was not cold. The condensation was less too. I live in a different climate. In our old bathroom we had a fan installed to keep us comfy when we cleaned our teeth or had a shower. Not an exhaust fan; we already had that. A regular fan. Some people attach them to the wall but we had a ceiling fan. Now I live in a shoebox with very limited possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I am in awe. I think you are so brave for doing it yourself, even with learning on the job and not wanting to do it again....but you could! I love the new bathroom! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! You impress me. I don't know if I'd undertake something like that, it would scare me to death, maybe not at the start but when I looked in and it was all gutted, then I'd freak out, ha. You did a WONDERFUL job. love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent job! A complete redo for less than £1000? Unheard of! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome job! keep up the good work, The more you go and do the more you will accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely.........love the sub-way tiles !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done! Your new bathroom looks lovely. Bet you keep going in to have a look at it:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations are definitely in order! It looks great, and I'm very impressed that you did it all by yourself starting with no background skills. An inspiration!
    Also, <£1,000 is a lot less than you would have paid someone else to put it in, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete