More DIY ing today.
Now that I have cleared my spare room by getting a lot of the excess into the new loft space I wanted to get a spare bed for guests. Obviously I didn't really want to buy one! I had a matress that I had aquired for free, but it wasn't really nice to just have a matress on the floor in there.
I looked into bed bases but the cheapest one I found that would fit was £65 and said 'suitable for children or light adults', to me that says, will fall apart in 3 months.
I was a bit hampered by having too much in the room and was running on a very exact amount of room for the bed, one cm over here and there and it wouldn't have fitted.
So I did the best thing I could in the circumstances and made one myself.
It needed to fit in the corner by the wardrobe so I took very careful measurements and made a nice simple design that I thought I could follow myself and so took myself off to the shop to buy some wood. I had some in the garage so just needed a few extra bits.
Spent the first half of the afternoon cutting up the lengths of wood to the right size and beginning to assemble them in the way I thought would work.
It was a lovely sunny day, so I had the doors open and had breaks outside on the deck.
I had a nosy visitor mid-afternoon.
Made it in two halves so that it is easy to move about (unlike so many beds). Here it the first half with legs on.
In position. Perfect fit.
Second half made and a job well done. It is very very solid and will take more than a child or small adult.
Ready for visitors. It's very comfortable too.
All together it cost me £35 so as a single bed base, made to measure, not bad going at all and a lot less than buying one would have cost me.