Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Progress


Thank you all for your encouraging comments over the last couple of days. All is well here and I am happy to report that all painting and decorating is now finished. I will happily not look at another paint brush for a few years.
I am watching the news at the moment (have been up since 5.30)  and the big news seems to be about the resignation of the England manager. Now I must say, I couldn't care less about this news, but what I am flabbergasted by is the 6 million pound  salary. I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, how can anyone's work be worth 6 million pounds a year? That works out at over £16000 a day. How can someone do a days work and then think to themselves, 'what I did today was worth £16000.' Crazy world. I bet he gets sick pay too. He earns in one day more than I earn in a years hard working.
Enough of that craziness and onto normal things.
The £100 a month challenge is a doddle so far. 9 days in and I have spent nothing since the £40 a spent on the first couple of days. I still have more than enough food for at least another week so won't have to go shopping for a while yet. Not actually going to the shops is the key, if you don't go shopping then you don't spend money, pretty easy logic really. I was reading Frugal Queen's post this morning about what is in our shopping basket and I have to agree. I often stand in a supermarket queue (generally this is in the big ones rather than lidl or aldi) and wonder what other people are eating. Often they look like they have £60 of shopping and yet no ingredients. I must admit I have a family member who is like this. She spends £100 in Tesco and comes home and says, oh dear, I have nothing for my tea. Her and her husband then go shopping every day for dinner ingredients (which is always lavish and often seems to include a bottle of wine), this is on top of the £100 she spends in the supermarket, and all the leftovers are thrown out because they wouldn't want to eat the same thing two nights on the run. Is this what most of the country do or is it odd behaviour? I think I am out of the loop on what people consider normal now.
I have some friends coming over for dinner tomorrow night, I have to think of something cheap to cook. I was watching superscrimpers on tv and rather liked the look of the goulash recipe made with shin of beef, a nice cheap cut. Having said that, in general the programme is a disappointment. Have any of you watched it? I can't quite understand when a programme that is supposed to be about being frugal and learning to live on less, is giving advice on how to make your credit rating better so that you can borrow money with more ease. Surely encouraging people not to borrow in the first place would be better advice? It seems a no brainer to me, but maybe someone can enlighten me.
OK, enough for now. I hope this publishes ok as I am still having troubles with blogger. Especially commenting, so apologies if I don't reply always. I do appreciate the comments, but it seems to go wrong when I try and reply.

14 comments:

  1. Good morning Dan. I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to look at another paintbrush. Unfortunately the lounge and the hall and stairs still need decorating! I watched a couple of the Superscrimpers programmes in the last series but found it highly irritating - are people really that stupid? I also found myself shouting at the TV ' I've been doing that for years, so did my Mum, and so did my Gran'. Common sense things which are being touted as a revelation - like drying your washing outside instead of putting it in a dryer and using electricity. Is that really ground-breaking news to some people? I often look at what people have in their trolleys - lots of processed foods, fizzy drinks, alcohol and no basic ingredients in most of them! Glad the £100 per month is going well. My cupboards and freezer are still in pretty much the same state as when I photographed them, but we have eaten well every day, haven't gone without anything and don't feel deprived. I only have 75p left and may run out of milk before J gets paid, but I certainly won't go over the £100 by much, and shouldn't need to buy as much next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a shouter at the TV too, have been for years. Mind you I talk to myself all the time too. Well done too on the £100 a month, it is easier than I imagined, it is all about organisation and will power it seems to me.

      Delete
  2. No, we too are a little disappointed with super scrimpers. We also stare into other people's baskets and wonder how they haven't yet died of a heart attack let alone wonder if they have a bank manager fairy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess that firstly they end up throwing a lot of food away. That is what always surprises me about people, why buy stuff and then throw it? They probably re-buy it the following week!

      Delete
  3. I am pleased to hear you have finished decorating, its something that drives me nuts, I cannot stand the mess!!

    I have not watched superscrimers, but I do agree with what you say about people shopping baskets. At Christmas I was in Tesco buying the few things we get from there and the trolleys were going through loaded to the top and more, I remarked to my husband that a lot of what was in the trolley's would end up in the bin, on Boxing day they were out doing it again and the same on New Years eve. The shops were open new years day so why the huge trolleys full.

    I used to be a loyal Tesco shopper. Since we moved here I got frustrated because the value things I used to buy are not available in our shop here. Its classed as a High Spending area, nuts to those of us who cannot afford to buy finest products!! So now I do most of my shopping at Aldi, just going to Tesco for things Aldi does not as yet stock.

    My budget for the month used to be £100 for the two of us, recently I have had to increase it to £130 as prices have risen.

    What really annoys me about Tesco is that they take a product off the shelf and its missing for about a month and then its back again, in new packaging and with a price hike......that really gets me going. They also seem to stop stockings things that sell well so you are forced to buy something more expensive.

    Where we live we have just Tesco and Aldi, to go to any other stores you have to travel 15 miles either way unless you happen to be passing in the course of your day. Occasionally I will go to Asda if I am in the area.

    Sainsbury are hoping to build on the outskirts of the town which, although I probably will not use them as its too far to walk, will bring some much needed competition for Tesco, something which has long been needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not really all that keen on tesco, I don't go there any more. I remember though how they used to do as you say, remove products, repackage and hike up the price. Another of their tricks seems to be to change the packaging and then reduce the weight of the item at the same time. They've done that loads.
      Aldi and lidl mostly fill my basket now, with occasional trips to morrisons or asda for the stuff I can't get elsewhere.
      I have a friend who lives in a town that seems to be owned by Tesco, there are 2 there and no other supermarket. Lidl wanted to open a branch there and for some 'mysterious' reason, there bid was blocked. Strange that!

      Delete
  4. If you can lay your hands on a copy via the library "Hungry Planet" by Peter Menzel is quite an eye opener. He travelled around the world and photographed average families with a weeks worth of groceries.

    Some pics and a bit of info here

    http://www.amusingplanet.com/2010/07/hungry-planet-what-world-eats-by-peter.html

    Some more detail on a few of them here


    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5005952

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the photos, wow, very interesting. It was notable that UK and USA had the least fruit and veg and the most chocolate and crisps etc, of all!

      Delete
  5. I cannot understand those that do not enjoy leftovers. I make things to have the next day and hubby even says some of the things, chili and Indian dishes, taste better if they sit and marinate before eating. Also makes life so much easier when I dont have to "cook" every day.

    Right now my favorite meal is chicken noodle soup/stew with stock made from the bones and skin of a cooked chicken. I add a carrot and onion to the cooking stock, strain it and add more carrot, vegetables and wonderful Amish noodles. I could eat it for a week.

    Your blog and Frugal Queen should be required reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love leftovers. Firstly, because, like you say, they often taste better the next day. And secondly, because it means you don't have to cook!! Some people think eating the same thing twice in one week is unacceptable. I wonder what they would say to know that I ate exactly the same meal 3 nights on the trot this week! You know what, it was delicious every time!
      Really happy that you like my blog.

      Delete
  6. I was trolley gaving this morning in Asda, it is rediculous what some people buy, especially with regards to convenience foods. Even my children have cottoned on now when we go shopping and look in other peoples trolly's and relaise that although it is packed there is really nothing to eat.

    Superscrimpers annoys me, it tells me nothing new, but like most TV it is aimed at a mass audience, the likes of those whose trolly's we look into in Asda and Tesco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Superscrimpers is aimed at mass entertainment market, which is why the frugal ideas are often a bit ridiculous and the whole thing is about exposing outrageous spending than helping. I don't think that I will be watching any more episodes.
      I will, however, continue to trolley gaze, because that it highly entertaining!

      Delete
  7. I haven't seen this season's Superscimpers yet, although I do quite enjoy it. There was once a tip about using banana skin as shoe polish I keep meaning to try. :)

    As for the shopping every night thing. I must say that to some extent I've experienced that, but they were students so probably not considered normal either. Rather than just throwing left-overs away, they tended to just keep eating, haha!

    A lot of my friends cook bulk dishes and freeze the rest, so I'd like to hope that's normal behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, the freezer is almost more important than the fridge, as I am discovering while living without a fridge for the moment (getting one on Monday, hooray). I have managed to stock pile the freezer with bulk cooked dishes.

    ReplyDelete